Sunday, January 01, 2006

Happy birthday!

Today is not just the birthday of the new year, but also my brother's. He is 43 today. Happy birthday to both of you!

To celebrate my brother invited the family to lunch in one of our favourite restaurants. When we arrived there, we found it closed. So we decided to take a bit of a walk to another one. It was ... closed. Eventually we ended up in a place that did not look too promising (vegetarian selection on the menu almost non-existent), but we were pleasantly suprised. The food was very nice! Which proves again that you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover.

While we were walking through town in search of an open restaurant, we came past this house:


It's been built in a style typical for this part of the country. The green shutters are typical for this type of house. The front, where the entrance is, is covered in schistose (I hope that's the correct geological term). On the rest of the house you can see the timber-framed style called "Fachwerk". You will also find houses that are either completely covered in schistose or "Fachwerk" all over. I noticed this one, because of the mix. I think, it's quite beautiful.

Since I got my camera, I am constantly looking for photo opportunities. It's addictive.

2 Comments:

At January 06, 2006 1:57 am, Blogger Rurality said...

Sometimes people here will build a house with that Fachwerk on it too... and then people will call it "that German-style house"! :)

 
At January 06, 2006 3:42 pm, Blogger Sabine said...

That's very interesting! I would have thought that in America a German-style house would be a "Schwarzwaldhaus" of the Black Forest region. Or something Bavarian.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home