Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Pirates

Brittlestar, soon-to-be the biggest Canadian act ever (watch out, Celine Dion! :-)), have released an EP called Pirates. It is a limited edition of 100 copies only! Mine is already #89, so hurry and order your copy at Brittlestar before they are sold out.

I have listened to it quite a bit over the last couple of days, mainly while I was doing the washing up (yes, there is a new cd player in the kitchen) and here is my two cents worth:

There are two new songs on it, called Pirates and The Wrong Girl. These are not the best Brittlestar songs I have heard (after listening to Waiting a lot over Christmas that's definitely Gasoline and The Long Weekend; oh yes, and I have made my peace with Passion Is A Hard Thing To Conceal - I still don't like the way it starts and think "passion" is pronounced in a funny way, but the rest of the song is actually very good), but they are good. I especially like the guitar on Pirates. That rocks.

In addition Stewart has covered one of Stephen Duffy's songs, The Darkest Blue from The Ups and Downs album. You can imagine that, being a Duffy fan, I was very sceptic, when I read this. I only bought The Ups and Downs a short while ago to further complete my collection. It is definitely not my favourite Duffy "opus", but The Darkest Blue is one of the better songs on it. The Brittlestar version is - in Andreas' categories for cover songs - a 2b. That is a cover that is more or less a re-recording of the original, perhaps with more modern instrumentalisation or sound, but on the whole nothing new and in the same league as the original. Not bad at all, Stewart (says the patronising me). I wonder, what Stephen thinks of it.

Finally there is yet another version of Goodbye on this EP. It's not as good as the original version, but has an interesting orchestral sound to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home