Sunday, April 09, 2006

My trainers are OAPs

The final week of "proper" training. The marathon is in exactly two weeks from today and training advice is to reduce the amount of running to recover from the training and give the body some time off.

So here they are, the final stats of the week (I feel a bit sad writing this):

Total running time this week: 7 hours 34 minutes (scheduled: 8 hours 22 minutes)

Total distance run: 61.8 km (scheduled 60.0 km)

A very fine pair of trainers retired today after a final 30k run with me. They were the perfect fit and I regret to see them move into the old trainers' nursing home. But with the amount of running I do every week, the useful life of trainers is short. And I have had this pair for over a year. Time to say goodbye.

Replacement had been bought over a month ago, but yesterday I had to take them back to the shop. They didn't fit properly. The really good thing about Runners Point is, that within eight weeks after the purchase you can get a different pair or your money back if you are not completely satisfied. I got a different pair. Well... to be honest, I got two different pairs. One to replace the running shoes and a pair of new Nike Free, which I really, really needed (my old ones are coming apart at the heel; I have worn them too much). I am totally in love with Nike Free. The Nike exhibition stall at the London marathon expo will be a hard test for me. How many pairs of trainers does a runner need?

So, today I went for a final long run. Instead of doing the usual three hours, I did 30 km. It took me 3 hours and 15 minutes, which I think is quite good. I felt fine afterwards and would have been able to go on for another 12 km. I will finish the marathon in less than 5 hours. I am convinced that I will.

Because I wanted to know how long the 30 km would take me in a speed that felt comfortable, I did not stop very often to take pictures. But when I saw the flock of sheep, I had to stop:

They are a bit far away, so you probably cannot see that the shepherd put up a fence to stop them from roaming about too freely.

I nearly missed a large field of I-don't-know-what's. It was hidden by the trees and I only noticed it because the white flowers reflected in the sun.

When I started the third round the shepherd had removed the fence and put two Alsations to work. They did an excellent job. It looked like they only had to look into the direction of a sheep to make it move.

The lambs, that are usually born in March, have already grown quite a lot. Will they survive Easter?

It was a fine morning, the sun was out and the sky was blue. I like the effect that has on the light in the forest.

But I know what tomorrow will bring. Grey skies and work things.

Have I already introduced you to my little car? It was love at first... drive. Yes, after a ten minute test drive I knew, it was this and no other that I wanted. He (yes, it's a boy. How do I know? I just do.) has been my Smart mode of transport for over three years now and I still do not want a different car. It's a shame Smart is not doing enough business. I hope they will not stop making these little things. If you look closely you can see my reflection. I was wearing red today.

1 Comments:

At April 09, 2006 9:17 pm, Blogger Rurality said...

Cute sheep! I was just telling hubby that we probably need some. To cut the grass, you know. :)

I think your flowers may be anemones. Maybe.

The car is cute too. It probably would not work here though. You would get squished like a bug by the many, many "Sports Utility Vehicles" on the road. I swear everybody here would drive a Hummer if they could afford it. It's like they all want to drive tanks!

I want to get one of the hybrid cars!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home