Saturday, April 22, 2006

One day to go (Part 2)

The rest of the day I spent in Hyde Park, lying on the grass, reading a newspaper and a book, drinking coffee, nodding off, trying not to think about tomorrow. A lot of people did the same.

Spend the day in the park that is. I don't know if they also tried not to think about the marathon.


Hyde Park in spring is beautiful and even though I feel like a bl%&d$ amateur after seeing the wildlife photo exhibition, here are some more of the pictures I took:

Standing in front of the next tree I overheard a conversation that went something like this:

Dad: "Look! The tree is growing the wrong way around!"
Son: "No, it isn't." (tone of voice implied that he was silently adding "you sad bugger")
Dad: "Yes, it is. Just look."
Son: "No, dad."
Dad: "Mum look, the tree is growing the wrong way around."
Mum: "No dear, it isn't."
Dad: "But the branches are all the wrong way around."
Son: "No, dad."

At this point I took my picture and left. They were two against one. Dad didn't have a chance.

Tulips in bloom...

... lots of them...

The Serpentine was crowded with water fowl...

... and humans...

Anyone missing flip flops?

The owner was nowhere to be seen. I hope he/she did not put his/her bare feet into a lake that looks like this for large parts:


Suddenly I felt that people were staring at me. Did they recognise me as tomorrow’s new world record runner? Nope. They were staring at Queen’s Brian May, who was standing a couple of meters next to me looking out over The Serpentine. Before you ask: yes, his hair is that enormous. He was taking a walk with a beautiful blonde and a bodyguard, who glared at everyone that came too close for comfort (Brian May's comfort that is). He denied several requests for autographs by fans (I have always asked myself, what people do with autographs? Why would you want someone’s signature on a piece of paper if it is not a contract or a letter or something else that requires an underwriter?). Being such a big celebrity he is probably constantly accosted by fans, who want to take a picture or get an autograph. I felt sorry for him, but then remembered how much wealth he got in return and stopped.

I walked on and found myself staring at a squirrel's butt:

All the squirrels were quite tame and took titbits from a man's hands.

They turned the lights on, time to leave.


Pizza for dinner. Should I have had pasta instead?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home