Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Running down memory lane

Part of the autobahn to Cologne was closed completely for traffic today due to a bad accident, where apparently a lorry crashed into the end of a traffic jam. This meant that I could not drive to my usual running spot without taking a big detour. Therefore I decided to take a trip down memory lane instead and run here at home. There is a hiking trail through our forest, that is very popular and it is a circular route. We had to run along it (or at least part of it) once a year, when I was still at school. I remember well, that one year the whole class went on strike and we walked the whole distance. Our teachers were not amused and we all got a bad grade for it.

I wasn't sure just how long the trail is, so I called my dad, who rides along it with his bike regularly. He thought it was about 10k, so I decided to go for it because it was exactly what Jens had ordered me to run today.

At the beginning of the trail there is this little lake with an island in the middle. When I was little we went ice skating here in winter. I doubt that it gets cold enough for the lake to freeze over nowadays.

I had run a couple of hundred meters when my dad appeared on his bike. He wanted to make sure that I do not get lost in the forest. He did not bike next to me, but he was never too far away. Most of the time I could see him somewhere in the distance or on the other side of the course. It was a good thing he was there! Because of course, I got lost. I took a wrong turn and after about 1k, he suddenly appeared behind me shouting my name. He had been waiting for me further along the track and when I didn't appear he realised that I had gotten lost. Otherwise I would still be running around some hamlet in our hinterland.

The whole run, including my detour, took about 1h 15min. That's not fast, but it is a hilly run. Our region is part of the socalled "Bergisches Land" and Berg is mountain in English. The name is derived from the Graf von Berg, the earls, who owned the land many years ago. But their name is of course traced back to the fact that the country is hilly.

Tomorrow I will run this route twice, because Jens has ordered 20-22k. 20k including hills should be ok, don't you think?

4 Comments:

At March 14, 2007 9:50 pm, Blogger Uli said...

More than 10K today and hilly 20 tomorrow is a really impressive programme. You are well ahead of me I have to admit. For me it's 12 tomorrow morning, enough to make me happy. But look out, I'll do my very best to catch up.

Have fun running in the sun!

 
At March 15, 2007 3:21 pm, Blogger Sabine said...

Uli, you will always be faster than me, even if they'd put both your arms and legs in plaster!

 
At March 15, 2007 5:41 pm, Blogger Uli said...

That is the dress someone already suggested to me to get broadcasted by the BBC.

 
At March 17, 2007 5:24 am, Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Isn't your father lovely to do that?
Congrats on maintaining your schedule, you're doing well. Thanks for taking time to take and post the photos too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home