Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Flora London marathon 2007 - race day


And then it is Sunday morning. It doesn't start well. When I try to attach my runners number to the Unicef t-shirt I tear a hole into it (the t-shirt AND the runners number). I am starting to have a premonition about the problems ahead of me (my nan was very superstitious, it has rubbed off on me a bit).


Then it's time to go and we get on the bus that will take us to the starting line:

To my great surprise the bus took us to the blue start this year, which is also the start of the elite race. Last year we started from the red start together with all the costumed runners. I hadn't paid notice when I picked up my runners number and didn't see that the number was printed on in blue, which would have been a clue. Uli claims he wrote about it in his newsletter, but that I too hadn't noticed. Apparently the organisers are experimenting with the different starts (three in total: green, red and blue) and are thinking about abandoning the green one next year.

Balloons, balloons, balloons...


We arrived early to beat the traffic and have plenty of time to rest, put on sunscreen and be nervous.



Based on last year finish time, I have been allocated to pen 6, so when there is only about 25 minutes to go I follow the signs...


There is not much to tell about the race itself, but... it was very hard indeed. I have plenty of excuses for not doing as well as last year: I didn't have sufficient time for training (about 6 weeks instead of the "prescribed" 12), I had been ill only two weeks before the race, it was a very warm day ("hot" in my world).

The first 5k I ran too fast. If you look at my splits it doesn't seem like that, but shortly after the start there was a congestion and we had to walk for a couple of minutes (4 according to my watch). It seems that the "experiment" with the blue start failed. After 10k I was already starting to feel the heat. After 15k I knew, I wouldn't be able to continue at the pace I was running. After 20k I knew, it wasn't a question of keeping up the pace, but finishing at all. I don't look bad though on Tower Bridge, which is exactly at 20k (the pictures are small, because I am not willing to pay 75 GBP for one print to the official photographer for a better resolution!):


I have to admit that I started to walk after about 23k. I had drunken too much cold water and was having stomach cramps. But running for Unicef and thinking about the sponsors' money kept me going. I spent the second half of the race, walking running walking running. Finish time didn't matter at all. And suddenly there it was... the finish line!


At the meeting point, Uli and B. have already recovered from their race. They were trying to run 3.45, but the heat had taken it's toll on them too and they finished in very respectable 4:04.

In the evening we all meet in a pub for
inter air's after marathon party. Achim took pictures, but they aren't online yet:

Uli and B. have recovered even more and look pratically radiant:

It may not have been a brilliant race for me, but I was lucky and won a price at the tombola. A weekend marathon running course with Herbert Steffny! (You may remember that last year after the marathon I wanted to book this seminar, but it was fully booked.) The only embarrasing thing about it was, that Achim had asked me to be the Good Luck Fairy and draw the winning numbers out of a hat. But since I hadn't cheated, he insisted I was the winner. (I have asked my trainer Jens if I am allowed to go and he replied "absolutely not" :-)).

I did have my picture taken wearing my Brittlestar t-shirt and my medal (marathon tradition no. 5). But I am not posting it here, it's censored. I asked Uli to ensure that I have only one chin and he managed to do that. Unfortunately that came at a price. I look like Jay Leno. Let me get this clear: it is not at all Uli's fault, but entirely due to my stupid face. I did send the picture to Stewart, but it's for private use only.

Mark asked if I enjoyed the marathon. Yes and no. But more yes than no, so I will be back next year.

3 Comments:

At April 30, 2007 1:43 pm, Blogger Uli said...

Hi Sabine,

Thanks for the great race day report, it is good fun to relive it once again though it was partly sort of a torture.

Theory says that one runs 10% slower due to the heat, so congratulations to your theoretic time of 4:23 which equitably will count to measure your bonus.

Sorry about failing with your photo - would you be so kind to send the one showing B and me? (although I am looking like in my seventies)

See you next year in London - race date is April 13th.

 
At May 01, 2007 4:06 pm, Blogger Sabine said...

I like that! A theoretic time of 4:23! And thank you so much for the bonus and your support!

As I said, the picture was not your fault. It is me and my face. Picture of you and B on it's way to you in a minute.

Sabine (already training for April 13th 2008!)

 
At May 03, 2007 1:29 am, Blogger Kay Cooke said...

You are a winner in my book for competing and completing! Well done - I am in awe. Truly in awe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home