Thursday, June 15, 2006

Fever Pitch

My boss got an invitation from Deutsche Bank to the Fifa World Cup game Germany vs. Poland. He couldn't go, but suggested that - because I had such a difficult season, which ended with my favourite club being relegated to the second league - I should go instead. I LOVE my boss!

For a couple of hours I felt like a vip. And for the first time in my life I had to wear a wrist band that allowed me to go to places not everyone is allowed to go to (not the players' dressing room, though).


The invitation did not just include a ticket, but a whole hospitality pack. This is my loot:


Not in the picture (but in my stomach): Some really nice food and German white wine. All other beverages that are served at the stadiums have to be from the main sponsors. So it's
Coca Cola and Anheuser Busch only. For most Germans that is going to be hard. Budweiser is not really what we consider beer.

I did not take my digital camera, because I wasn't sure if it was allowed. But my host did and he promised to send the pictures by mail soon. So for the time being, some crappy pictures taken by a crappy mobile phone camera:

Waiting in posh
Nikko Hotel in Düsseldorf for the van to take us to the stadium ... (I don't look very enthusiastic on this picture, but trust me... I was).


Outside the stadium: fans and security


The stadium...


Polish fans in the row in front of us. The one on the right was devasted after the game, but they were all very friendly and congratulated after the match.

Apparently meant to be the German eagle... wearing a football outfit... storming towards the opponent's goal...


Photographers in front of the true vips of the evening: our president Horst Köhler, football legend Franz Beckenbauer and others. Madness.


Blogger is currently not allowing me to upload more pictures; neither here nor in a new post. Shame. Will try again later.

2 Comments:

At June 16, 2006 9:47 am, Blogger Uli said...

Wow! This must have been a great day for you. The match was breathtaking and the atmosphere seemed to be electric.

On Wednesday afternoon we travelled from Frankfurt airport to Bochum and the train was packed with German supporters. I felt a bit disappointed seeing them heading for the pitch while I had to watch it at TV with the stadium right at our doorstep.

I remember very well the World Cup 74 when it was absolutely no problem to get tickets and I watched 9 matches - sometimes two per day. It is astonishing how things have changed.

 
At June 17, 2006 12:00 am, Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Have been thinking of you whenever football coverage arrives on our tv ... Glad you had a great time - what a stroke of luck - nice boss!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home