Monday, August 28, 2006

Casa Loma (part 1)

It's Monday and I am back in the office, but only for half a day. More than enough, thank you.

In the afternoon I take the underground to Casa Loma. Stewart sends me an email saying “Have fun at Casa Loma....though someone from Europe, land of castles, going to see a pretend castle....well, you're just setting yourself up for disappointment, I think.” Well, I had visited it years ago and in my memories it's all Art Deco, beautiful gardens and a swimming pool. Especially the gardens tempt me to go back for a second look.

Casa Loma was built in the early twentieth century on a hill overlooking Toronto by Sir Henry Mill Pellatt, a Canadian financier and Major General in the Queen's Own Rifles. He made his fortune mainly in electricity, transportation and insurance and later lost it all and had to live in his former chauffeur's house. He died a poor man.



The entrance fee is high, I will die a poor woman.

Immediately in the Great Hall I realise that my memory has mistaken me. It is indeed a mock castle built in a mix of styles. But kind of cute.


"Was your life quite good? And were your book shelves made out of wood?"

The Conservatory is the best room inside the house. It has been built with an eye for detail.








The remaining rooms of the castle have been furnished with pieces from the era when the Pellatts lived here. But after he had lost his fortune, Sir Pellatt had to auction off most of the furniture and his art collection, so today only few pieces inside the house are original pieces.


Ok, he was a soldier...

In the 1920s this was mod-con...

After the Pellets lost their money, Casa Loma was turned into a hotel for a short period of time. Room 23:


More instruments...
Then I do the unthinkable... I climb up the tower! Why? I honestly don't know. But I didn't panik. Not a lot anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home