Sunday, August 27, 2006

Let's go for a walk

It’s Sunday and finally I have a day off. The weather is bad - Murphy's law. Mist (or is it smog?) is hanging deep over the city and the lake. The plan is to go and see The EX or Canadian National Exhibition, which takes place once a year at the exhibition centre. My collegues in Toronto recommend it as an interesting day out. I have no better idea, so I check the map and it looks like a nice walk along the waterfront. I put on sensible shoes (commercial break: Nike Free) and start to walk. To move by setting one foot in front of the other is a strange concept for North Americans. I doubt that a lot of my collegues here would have done the same. There is a tram going to the exhibition centre after all.

When I reach the waterfront a couple of minutes later, my skin is wet. Not because I am sweating from the excersise, but because the mist (please, let it be mist and not smog) is everywhere. It covers my skin and soaks my hair. I look like something the cat brought in.




So I follow the footpath along the waterfront. There are fish on the ground:


Toronto is a strange city… they grow music in gardens here:

Mmmh, looks like ordinary flowers to me. Beautiful flowers, of course. But still only flowers:




Aha, an explanation: Apparently the garden was inspired by the First Suite for Unaccompanied Cello, composed by Johann Sebastian Bach in about 1720.

I can't really say that now it all falls into place and starts making sense. My knowledge about music is limited; I am a consumer only.

After about 1h (including one coffee break and photo stops) I arrive at the exhibition centre.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home