Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Let's go for a walk (reprise)

It's Tuesday. The two people that I have to work with most here in Toronto have taken the day off. So I decided to do the same and go for a walk. Stephan gave me his City Guide Toronto before he flew home and they have a couple of interesting walking tours. "Cabbagetown & Rosedale Architecure Walk" sounds most interesting, so that's the one I will take.

But first I have to get to the starting point in Cabbagetown. My hotel is on The Esplanade, so quite a bit away. But it would feel stupid to start a walking tour by taking a taxi or the underground, so I walk to do the walk. If you understand what I mean.

Canadians are funny people. They like icehockey so much, they have built it a temple.



Great Britain clock...

I walk and walk and walk... and end up in what clearly is the gay part of Toronto. There is a lot of shops with the rainbow flag hung outside and - forgive me the stereotype - an increased number of good looking man. God has a strange sense of humour, at least from a straight woman's point of view.

Then I realise that I have walked way too far. I had been so busy absorbing the city that I missed a turn I should have taken. Oh, nevermind. I have the whole day.

Eventually I get to the starting point of the walking tour. The predominant impression of Cabbagetown is a big mass of deliberately neglected green green gardens. I am in love. Should I ever move to Toronto, this would be the place to go to.

This is the former St Enoch's Presbyterian Church, now the Toronto Dance Theater & School:

The guide says, it's a "soaring red-brick Romanesque Revival building (1891)".

Next up is the Italianate Villa:



No. 320 Carlton St 5 is "a plump example of of the architectural style Toronto is best know for, the bay-and gable home":

These are the working class style Geneva Ave Cottages...

How many dogs can a single person walk?

The Witches' house has been named after its gingerbread appearance and the gargoyle on the front:

The Alpha Ave Cottages are hidden in a tiny road that you will miss, if you don't know what you are looking for. They were originally built for workers in the 19th century.


The same is true for Wesley Cottages...

No 314 Wellesley St is a terra-cotta building with fine ornamentation:


Then the walking tour leads me past some modern architectural delights...


This is the James Ramsey House (that's a busy road in front of it and you have no idea how long it took me to take a "car free" picture):

Castle Frank Road No 65 is a white Georgian home...

This house in Castle Frank Road No 43 is built in "clinker brick" style, where each brick is differently coloured:

No 93 Elm Ave has an impressive ornamental iron porch:

No 88 Elm Ave won an architecture prize in 1921 and is listed by the Ontario Heritage Foundation as being of architectural significance:

This house is not part of the walking tour, but I like it:

The walking tour is done and it was really good. This is indeed an interesting part of Toronto.

I walk back to my hotel and come by this sculpture. It makes me sad, because apparently modern life is all about running busily from one place to another.

Oh... a huge Cadbury's chocolate!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home