Saturday, November 18, 2006

Nightmares

These are bad days. Yesterday I went to Paris with my boss to meet with the new "maman". About half-way through the meeting my boss said that he felt like a train had just run over him. I couldn't have agreed more. New requirements and tightened deadlines. The next six months will be hell. Monday morning I will have to figure out a way to make it work.

And if that wasn't enough, Mr Cat is making me worry too. I took him to the vet today, because it looked like his teeth were troubling him. He makes a mess when he eats and doesn't eat as fast as he used too. He has very bad teeth anyway, so I new it was time for the dentist again. Furthermore I felt that he was drinking more than usual and was worried he may have kidney problems, which are often fatal.

I didn't feed him this morning, because I thought they could do it straight away. (Cats need to be anaesthestise for dental repairs to be carried out and hence must not eat anything for hours before.) You can imagine the mood he was in! The vet agrees that something needs to be done about the teeth urgently, but informed me that she doesn't anaesthestise cats on Saturdays because she wants them to wake up in the clinic, which is only open until early afternoon. So we made an appointment for Monday morning and I can pick him up on Monday late afternoon, when he is awake again. She also checked his blood after I told her about the increased water intake. Weighing showed that he has lost 1kg! She also didn't like the look of his fur. I thought it wasn't so shiny in certain parts, because he is old and ... slightly overweight... he cannot reach everywhere to lick and clean his fur. Therefore I brush his coat every second night to help him. Looks like I was wrong.

Her diagnosis has to be confirmed by another blood test, but it's very likely my little furry friend has diabetes. We sent a blood sample to the lab immediately, but all the symptoms she described are there: increased drinking, weight loss, fur problems. He will have to eat special food and, in a worsed case scenario, get insulin injections. On the one hand I am glad that he doesn't have kidney failure (all other tests apart from the blood sugar had very good results), but he is old and FIV positive. He really doesn't need another illness.

3 Comments:

At November 18, 2006 10:23 pm, Blogger Uli said...

Sabine, Dear,
Please accept advice from an elderly guy like me. Life is always changing between hell and paradise. - I have to admit hell time is usually longer than paradise time. However, it is always worth to keep up.

I fear that "Klemmbrett" might be a too challenging driver during the oncoming months for you. Please have in mind that running should be a relaxing escape, not an additional challenge.

All the best for poor Mr Cat.

 
At November 18, 2006 10:31 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi Sabine

Sorry to read about Mr Cat. hope you are both ok. Hope you get good news at the vets on monday.

I love reading your posts!!

topcat (Tracy) xx

 
At November 18, 2006 10:41 pm, Blogger Sabine said...

Uli, thank you for your support! Mr Cat appreciates it. So far, Klemmbrett has been ok, but if it gets too much, I will reduce my desired pb and ask him for a new plan. He is very nice (judging from his emails and my friend Anna has met him in Berlin), so I am positive it will work out.

Tracy, thank you too! Long time since we talked. I hope you are well and enjoying your new married status! :-)

I have found a very good German internet page about cat diabetes (see links) and I am now hoping that Mr Cat may have secondary diabetes caused by his dental problems. One tooth looked really bad and sometimes apparently illnesses like this can cause diabetes. We'll know more on Monday or Tuesday at the latest.

Sabine

 

Post a Comment

<< Home