Sunday, January 29, 2006

But baby it's cold outside - part 2

Halfway I saw this and thought of you, Karen. :-)

I don't know what it was saying, because at that point my mp3 was still working and I had Stewart singing into my ear. It's unlikely that the trees in this forest are marked to denote boundaries. The whole place belongs to the city of Cologne. Maybe it's a way for the forest warden to single out trees that are special?

I finally reached the small lake. Like the large one, it has frozen up.

The only thing that's missing is a sign: "Yes, we have vacancies":

By now the battery in my mp3 had died on me and I could hear a funny noise. A bit like a sonar or the songs of humpback whales. The little lake is clearly too small to be the home of one of those, so I looked around for the source of it. But after I had circled the lake a couple of times it was clear there was no artificial source. So I finally decided that it was the ice itself that was making the noise. What could be the reason? The lake is articifial, there are no natural banks. So as the ice grows it hits the wall that surrounds the lake and this causes it to break up. And while it breaks, it makes a noise. Does that sound plausible?

More swans and ducks in the little lake. They are beautiful and they know it.


1 Comments:

At February 06, 2006 6:12 pm, Blogger Rurality said...

Oho, your trees are so special that they have numbers on them! :)

Ice noises? Probably but I'm too far south to give a good guess. Only once in my life here has it been cold enough for long enough to freeze ponds.

It's funny to think that mallard ducks are here too! Actually I think they are pretty much everywhere.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home