Thursday, February 23, 2006

Kölle Alaaf!

It's carnival in Cologne, the fifth season of the year. It's one big fancy dress party that starts on November 11th (at 11:11 am) and ends on Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent. Well, actually it ends Tuesday night by burning an effigy called "Nubbel". Street carnival starts the Thursday before Ash Wednesday.

Every year we take the day off work and celebrate. Some of us chose a fancy dress according to a common theme. This year we went as a
set of playing cards; I chose the seven of spades. In skat the seven of spades means loss, conflict, trouble...

"To protect the innocent" (as
Karen recently put it), I have put black bars over their eyes. If you are in it and still feel, I shouldn't have used your picture, sue me!

So, people dress up in fancy dress. This man, for example, was very cunningly dressed as my boss, without a tie. But he didn't fool us...

Very important in carnival are the traditional corps. There are several of them; you can tell them apart by their uniform. Every corps has a "Tanzmariechen":

and this is her "in action":

Say "cheese" (proof that I don't mind making an utter fool of myself)...

I hope, I don't have a huge lower jaw like that in real life. Please God, let me be just unphotogenic!

Yes, I look drunk in this picture. But I swear, the only thing I drank all day long was mineral water! I am training for a marathon, remember?

Trust me, carnival songs are unbearable when you aren't under the influence. You can only survive without permanent damage, if you sing along.

Another very aptly chosen costume!

And this is the fastest sailor I know. Recently ran 10.5km in 46:09 minutes!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home