Saturday, September 09, 2006

Racing again

This is probably the last warm and sunny weekend of this summer. Tomorrow is the annual Brückenlauf and I have registered to run. Since I haven't trained properly for ages, I will have to run in snail pace. My main target is to finish. A far cry from my ambitions just after the completion of the marathon, I know. But I am hoping that normal training can resume from next week on, so that I am back in shape for the half-marathon in Cologne next month.

This morning I went to pick up my runner's number at the new starting point of the race, the sport and olympic museum. How adequate! They have also changed the track again, so this year the distance to run is 15.2k

I walked along the Rhine to the museum.

Is it art?


Sailing boat, bridge, modern tower:

Once again I am struck by just how beautiful this city is. Granted, there are ugly parts too. But this area is just lovely...


The curved construction over the roof of the arena on the other side of the river looks very small from here.



The closer I get to the museum, the more people I see with telltale white plastic bags. The bags contain the runner's number, a free t-shirt and promotional flyers. Tomorrow they will be used as kitbags and most likely contain the runner's clothes to change into after the race and maybe something to eat and drink.

I was a bit weary about the race, but know the old pre-race day excitement returns. I am starting to look forward to tomorrow, even though I know I will not do well.

2 Comments:

At September 10, 2006 6:53 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you did okay in the race and that you are proud of yourself.
I have enjoyed catching up - your trip to Toronto seemed to go well.

 
At September 10, 2006 4:12 pm, Blogger Sabine said...

Hi chiefbiscuit

I haven't finished uploading all pictures and reports from the trip to Toronto. Blogger often just stalls when I upload photos. But I will keep trying and eventually it should all appear.

From a personal point of view, the trip went very well. I met some lovely people. From a business point of view, it was very frustrating. So I will try to remember only the great evening at the Horseshoe (report and photos still to come).

Sabine

 

Post a Comment

<< Home