Thursday, August 31, 2006

Toronto islands

Before I cross the lake again to get to the islands, I check the relevant chapter in Stefan's travel guide and learn the following:

Toronto islands started life as an immense sandbank, stretching into the lake. On April 13th, 1858, a hurricane cut through the sandbank and formed Toronto's islands. Centre Island has no residents, but hundreds of visitors on weekends. On Algonquin Island and Ward's Island small artistic communities live a unique life. (After a long struggle the city granted the the year-round residents 99-year leases in 1980.) All of the islands are interconnected by bridges or footpaths.

The islands have three ferry terminals and my guess is that from the one in the west to the one in the east, it's about a 6k walk. So in the morning I pack something to eat, a towel, a book and my Blackberry (Huston, I have a dependency problem) and take the ferry to Hanlan's Point.

Once there I start to walk along the road in the general direction of the beach. (Not the "clothing optional" one, of course. Call me old fashioned, but some parts of me I think should remain private. It's better for all parties involved.)

It's quite lovely here:





They have a pretty lighthouse:

Finally, the "clothing required" beach or "Centre Island Beach":

I unpack my towel and lie down on my back. This is my view...

After due consideration I decide never ever to return to the office. That's when my Blackberry's red light starts flashing. You've got mail. (Did I mention my little dependency problem?)

I have brought a bathing suit, but after sticking my toes into the lake decide that it's way too cold to go for a swim. This guy disagrees...

I read for a while, doze off and finally wake up hungry. So I make my way to Centre Island Pier, where apparently food can be purchased for a nominal price.

On my way what I think is a Monarch butterfly, sits still long enough to make a good picture:

The food is a jucky fast food pizza affair and since I am hungry, but not starving, I decide to walk on to a place called The Rectory Cafe.

But first the view back to the island from the pier:

Instead of walking along the lakeside, I take the road along the lagoon.

I don't know about you, but to me these do not look very secure. Pretty, maybe. But secure. No.

Boats, boats, boats...

Still life: Pretty lilac buoy and ugly cable...

Did I mention the boats?

All along the way there are these funny looking things:

On one of them it says "Disc Golf Target". What the $%&/ is disc golf?


I reach The Rectory Cafe and it is a lovely, chips/French fries/Pommes Frites free zone. A good vegetarian selection and not too expensive. I order a warm goat cheese salad.

The Hunter appears. He is a very impressive white cat with incredible blue eyes:

The nice elderly couple sitting next to me have orderd salmon and tuna. Hunter finds these infinitely more attractive then my goat cheese and starts staring at their plates.

In their defence I have to say that they did put up a fight. But in the end the cat won and a small plate with fish was placed under the table for him. He left without saying thank you.

I left too and spent another couple of hours on Ward's Island Beach reading my book, dozing in the sun, staring out over the lake.

Sunburnt, but recuperated I return to the city in the late afternoon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home