Sunday, September 10, 2006

Snail pace indeed

Hooray! I have finished the 15.2k and I did not walk... ok, apart from once at 10k when they handed out water to drink in plastic cups; I just can't drink out of them while running. The water ends up all over me, but not in mouth.

My official finishing time: 01:37:01
(My own timing was 01:02:27 for 10k, 01:35:50 for 15k and 01:35:37 for 15.2k)

Snail pace indeed, but I have not trained since the half-marathon in Leverkusen. And that was on June 11th! Which means I have not trained AT ALL for 3 months. No running, none, zero, rien. I went on the treadmill in the hotel in Toronto 30 minutes, but the machine was old and I wasn't motivated. So I went swimming instead.

Therefore I am glad, I made it today. I have a blood filled blister on my right foot (diameter of blister (not foot): 3cm) and my ankle is hurting again. But I loved it and the running bug is back in my blood.

I am also glad, I survived the fight for free beer after the race. One of the sponsors is a German brewery and afterwards they hand out alcohol-free, vitamin-enriched, calorie-reduced beer. I was at the front of the mob when a new crate of beer was opened. The stampeded nearly threw me over. Never get between a German man and a beer is the lesson learned.

5 Comments:

At September 11, 2006 12:20 am, Blogger Uli said...

Congratulations on your successful come back. Don't worry about the time, your performance certainly will improve when training regularly again.

Apropos free beer: Why not come to our www.sterntaler-lauf.de on Sept 24? We will provide 960 bottles of free beer which will make approximately 3 bottles per runner. There should be no queuing at all I hope.

 
At September 12, 2006 11:57 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What Uli said: Sounds like the plan! :)
Congratulations indeed. Well done. More than old couch potato me can achieve ...

 
At September 19, 2006 9:28 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My blogroll shows you as having updated Monday ... but apparantly it lies.
I have had fun reading some of your posts I missed before (the one about shoes I particularly enjoyed.)

 
At September 19, 2006 3:52 pm, Blogger Rurality said...

Well bloglines is apparently screwed up... it was not showing you as having posted anything new in quite a while! So I've just now looked at all your Canada pics - very nice! I especially liked the shoe museum, even though I own no fashionable shoes whatsoever. :)

Hope your blood blister goes away quickly - I really hate those.

 
At September 19, 2006 3:53 pm, Blogger Rurality said...

Oh, I forgot to say - thanks - you got the day exactly right. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home