Sunday, July 09, 2006

Playing for parsley

So, now the World Cup is over. Italy is world champion and I will hear the sound of Italian cars with honking horns for the rest of the night (there are quite a lot of Italians living in this place). Bless their cotton socks. Congratulations!

And what a game! What was Zidane thinking? To spoil his last game ever like that. And what did the Italians say that provoked him so much?

Thanks to all of you for your comments and your kind words! Yes, it was very sad Germany lost the semi-final, but we had a wonderful game yesterday and the whole country celebrated afterwards. Funny thing, third place play-offs. We call them "Spiel um die goldene Ananas", which means that all the winner will get is a golden pineapple. I have tried to fing the origin for that, but haven't yet. And I have read in the papers that in another country - and sadly I have forgotten which one, but think it was Costa Rica - it is called "playing for parsley".

3 Comments:

At July 10, 2006 6:14 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think they mean it as a bad thing or anything like that. Isn't parsley mean good fortune in their culture? Asian culture, golden anything means good fortune. Is that what Germans mean by the golden pineapple too? It sounds good to me. To me, it’s congrats to all three of the top three teams of this year’s world cup. Job well done for all :D Regardless, I hope you enjoyed the world cup over all Sabine. Cheers :D

 
At July 10, 2006 12:55 pm, Blogger Rurality said...

I was almost driven insane by the satellite tv going out around the 78th minute or so, due to a storm. We missed about 10 minutes of it, but it came back on in time to see Zidane's stupid move.

I wonder if the Italian guy provoked him on purpose, so that he'd be out of the penalty kicks?! I wouldn't be surprised.

I was for France during the game, but I thought that they displayed very poor sportsmanship for that, and during the ceremonies after the game too.

 
At July 11, 2006 11:11 am, Blogger Kay Cooke said...

I thought of you through the soccer - not that I watched any of it - hubby did - in bed in the mornings - he's on holiday right now - school holidays; he's a teacher - lucky him.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home