Monday, November 20, 2006

Mr Cat update

We have just returned from the vet. Mr Cat is still a bit drowsy and moves like a ship in heavy seas. His teeth have been repaired and all is well on that front. But the blood test has confirmed the tentative diagnosis of diabetes mellitus. His fructosamine concentration is 535.9 μmol/l, the maximum value acceptable is 340 μmol/l. I have to give him insulin shots twice a day now to get the value down. On Friday there will be another blood test to check for improvement.

It is still possible that Mr Cat is only in a so called "honeymoon" phase, i.e. the blood sugar will get back to normal after the treatment and remain below the level without further insulin shots. If it is bad, then we will have to give him insulin for the rest of his life. The shots must be given at the same time every day and within 12 hours of each other. This means a change of lifestyle for me. If he has a shot at 7 a.m. I have to give him the second one at 7 p.m. every night. It's not a problem with the running, I don't go running before 7 p.m. anyway. But I work late often and I have to travel for the company. But I have talked to my parents and we will manage. Dad has diabetes too, but doesn't need insulin. Still he sympathises with Mr Cat and will give him the shots whenever I am travelling or have to work late.

Mr Cat will manage, I am sure. He is a tough guy. In 2001 he was diagnosed with FIV, he has food allergies and had an operation on his eye. I have never added up all the amounts I have paid to vets since he decided to live with me in 2000. It must over a thousand Euros. But I don't regret a single cent.

2 Comments:

At November 21, 2006 5:42 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Cat will be in my prayers Sabine. I hope he will be ok. Take Care @>-->----

 
At November 21, 2006 7:56 pm, Blogger Sabine said...

Thank you, Fu! He is not just a pet, he is family.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home